Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Alterego - Part 1

I am not the girl in my head
She doesn't even know me
She's defined me based on the definitions of others
She lives in fear of them
She lives to please them
She lives hating them
She lives not knowing how to understand them
I am not her, & she's not me
But she draws me in w/ shallow desires
I'm held captive by objects I've never known
I'm held captive by poison
B/c she longs for the touch of the one that holds no regard, no concern
Her need to belong is so great that she'd cause me destruction
She doesn't care about me, just as the other lost souls
So, how do I disconnect from her?
How do I shed her skin so that there's only my skin
How do I become the girl that I'm really supposed to be
In this misery, I've learned that this is the human struggle
This is the disease that leads so many to self-destruct
Leading to every ism that corrodes our bodies
We seek peace in every other place b/c we can't find it w/in
So, I am not the girl in my head, & she's not me
But, maybe she should be.