Friday, January 16, 2009

Idiot Box

Watching television has to be one of the most confusing activities I can think of.... I don't do it often, but last night, I found myself caught up in ABC's Thursday night medical line-up, Scrubs, Grey's Anatomy, & Private Practice. & the common theme in each show... broken people trying to find healthy relationships. I found myself wishing I were a doctor, wondering what my life would be like if I were, & fully relating to the broken characters... getting caught up in the fantasy; somehow allowing their situations to persuade me to believe that this brokenness was ok, though I don't believe it is. True, the situations were as realistic as possible; however, what isn't shown is the agony in between the epiphanies & happy-endings... leaving viewers to travel into a place of denial where they believe this agony won't exist, but it definitely does.

Maybe that's why the old-timers called it the idiot box...

No comments: