Tuesday, January 19, 2010

In Your Skin


I take issue w/ people that don't know how to be themselves... I think people have become so concerned w/ confidence that everyone has now adopted personas that they don't even know how to control... & a lot of people aren't even aware that they suffer from this issue.

A line from one of my favorite songs by Sy Smith says "I don't know myself, though I know a few who do, & they seem sort of shallow, so I take my time & start anew."

I've always been sort of unsure of myself, but as I've matured, I've grown very confident in everything that I do... this doesn't mean that I'm arrogant, but that I'm ok w/ who I am or what I'm doing in the midst of any situation... surprisingly, I'm very indecisive; however, once I decide, that's it... So, if I decide to be emotional in a certain moment, then I'm going to follow that emotion to the depths of the sea!
I'm ok w/ being confused @ times, I'm ok w/ making mistakes... I know that it's ok that I'm not perfect... I try not to take myself too seriously, & I love laughing @ myself.

However, I meet so many people that have developed personas, & they don't know how to recover after a slight misstep... they try too hard in awkward moments... trying to appear as if they have control in every situation... trying so hard to maintain the image that they've created for themselves.

I'm no good w/ awkward moments, in the sense that I don't force what I know is not there. So, sometimes that means not engaging in small talk w/ someone that I don't know or really don't care to know... sometimes, I don't care to know what a person did w/ their weekend... now, some may say that's arrogant & impolite... but, is it necessary when each person has a dislike for the other... I don't know, but that's just a quick example.

Anyway... People have come to believe that the more that you do, or the more you know, then the more "together" or confident you are, the more important you are... but, you don't always have to fill the empty spaces in life... sometimes, you discover the most important things in the midst of silence.

I've been told that I'm confident & that's cool, but I'm really not sure if I am one way or another, & I'm ok w/ that... what I know about myself is that I am moody, goofy, detached, emotional, intelligent, forgetful, insecure, arrogant, organized, messy, lazy, determined, rude, compassionate, thoughtful, & selfish... I am all those things @ one point or another & I'm ok w/ that.. so, if that makes me confident, cool... if that makes me confused/confusing... cool... but, I'm not going to pretend that I am or am not any of those things.

No comments: