Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Julie, Julia, & Me




I really enjoyed this movie... Meryl Streep was superb. But, I couldn't help but think about the fact that it must have been a strain for Julie to take on such an ambitious goal. Judging by the couple's modest apartment, it appeared that Julie & her husband didn't have much money. For that reason, & a few others, it seemed like it would be unrealistic for me to attempt such a goal... Not to mention, I'm not the greatest chef, I'm ok, but I'm often intimidated by complicated recipes... I usually prefer recipes that don't require precise measurements & exotic/unfamiliar ingredients...

However, I've determined that I could attempt a goal somewhat similar, & definitely inspired by the one that Julie accomplished... & that goal is to learn 2 new recipes per week, for this year.

Aside from the CPA exam, income management is probably the biggest goal that I have for this year... for my life. As I mentioned in a previous post, I've already conquered my shopping demons, but I realize that my second largest obstacle in reaching my financial goal is food consumption.

Quite honestly, I don't eat a lot. I'm usually good w/ breakfast & lunch. Dinner is usually an afterthought, & only a major issue after a good workout. Unfortunately, daily visits to random restaurants for lunch, is absolutely killing my budget, & probably my waistline as well. So, as I said, I've conquered the shopping, now I have to conquer the eating.

Of course, the logical solution is to cook more. & to an extent, I have no problem w/ that... but, the extent is that I am not very fond of leftovers. There is a very limited list of items that I enjoy eating a second time around... this list includes fish, stews/soups, & pasta... meatloaf is also a consideration. I don't like chicken b/c it's normally dry by the second day, & it smells horrible when re-heated... the reheat issue also applies to pork & any other meat w/ a bone... truthfully, I think it's the bone that causes the stench... makes the meat smell re-heated, overcooked meat.

Also, I only know a limited number of recipes. The limited repertoire also bothers me b/c I want to be a decent chef for my future husband. I always think about my dad & how he complained about his ex-wife's limited menu options... I think she rotated the same 5 recipes each week, & that really is unacceptable & boring. So, I don't want to torture my husband or my children. Our generation has become so accustomed to dining out & it negatively affects so many aspects of our lives, including our health.

I always tell people how I wish I would've had the opportunity to take home economics in school. I think that course should be reinstated in our schools. Girls really don't know how to cook anymore, & I think it's sad. I wish I knew how to cook like women did "back in the day..." making everything from scratch, from biscuits to ice cream. I think it's a lost art among my generation.

So, my little goal will ultimately kill quite a few birds w/ one stone.

My only dilemma is that busy season starts in a couple weeks, & spans thru May, so it's going to be quite difficult to accomplish. Not only are we required to work @ least 55 hours/week during this time, but my schedule for this year includes quite a bit of traveling, including a couple months stay in New Jersey. But, I think I will still be able to swing it when I'm in town b/c I can just commit to trying one recipe on a weekday & then one recipe on the weekend. Of course, I'll have to put the project on hold while I'm in New Jersey.

But, I'm excited... I even want to reach out to my FB friends & ask for recipes & suggestions.

I think I will start the project next week. I'd like to start it this week, preferably Saturday, but a friend & I are planning to go hiking so I'm sure that will consume the day.

But, I will start digging for recipes... I actually have a pretty decent cookbook.

So, let the games begin!

No comments: