Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

I love watching films that inspire me to want to do & see something different. However, it's a little depressing sometimes b/c I'm not yet able to take the year-long, personal journeys that are usually showcased in such films. "Eat, Pray, Love" was no different.

Not wanting to be depressed about all places that I couldn't go, I decided to find beauty in the place where I currently resided. B/c I spent most of my life in the extra dreary city of Detroit, I love the fact that Houston's weather is the exact opposite. Though most people can't tolerate the humidity, & sometimes neither can I, the sunny weather does wonders for my mood. I love the fact that I can throw on a sundress & flip-flops in the middle of October... as if I were living on an exotic island. & sometimes, I forget to take the gift in & really appreciate it.

But, as it specifically relates to the themes of "Eat, Pray, Love," I have been trying to focus on my journeys in those 3 areas, especially pray & love. Like Liz, the main character, I've long suffered from overthought... I think, & think, & think... which is really nothing more than worry, worry, worry. However, as I believe I've mentioned before, I've recently learned how to "just be" & shut off the incessant thinking. I still have my moments; however, I've definitely noticed significant improvement. & since I've gained more control of my thoughts & being, I've also reconnected w/ God's spirit w/in me. It's been nice to share some of my thoughts & burdens w/ Him, & also knowing that thru the reconnection, I will discover my purpose.

Something that I've recently learned/rediscovered about love is the power of & need for relationships. It is so important to build meaningful relationships in all aspects of life. It's also important to do what's necessary to maintain those relationships. & there's so much enjoyment in making a conscious effort to involve various people in my life as well as trying to find ways to ensure that they're aware of how much I value their presence.

I think I've enjoyed or @ least indulged in enough eating to not have to work on that journey. I suppose my next journey is finding the right balance in diet & exercise so that I'm able to sustain a healthy & meaningful life. & Though I'm not yet able to explore my journey in an exotic backdrop, my current surroundings aren't too shabby. & I'm quite sure that every profound principle that I'd discover in the exotic, can also be discovered in the simple.

Eat... pray... love... that may be all I need.

No comments: