Monday, November 8, 2010

System Overload...

.I HATE SYSTEMS... not to be confused w/ structure... I really do hate systems. & this is pure E-logic right now, but I think that the difference between a system & structure is the fact that structure is necessary... to me, structure is law & order, to an extent... & a system can fall into the realm of structure, but systems can be changed & augmented to better fit w/in a given structure... There is a certain business structure that exists that will tell a person how to start a business, how to raise capital for a business, etc... & w/in this structure is several systems that are used... a hiring system, an IT system, an accounting system... all of these things can be changed to fit the needs of a particular business, but no one can change the fundamental structure of business that says that some sort of system needs to be in place for a given function.

I spent the day being severely agitated by systems... hiring systems, evaluation systems... I could go on & on. Mostly, I hate these systems b/c I believe them to be ineffective & a complete waste of time. Most employers have implemented various personality & reasoning tests to differentiate between applicants. First of all, I thought I could stop taking tests when I earned my damn degree. Second of all, I would really like to sit down w/ the developer of these tests to understand the significance of these tests b/c to me, it seems like they're just duplicating the robotic system of college... a system where you can get by if you know how to take a test.

I don't know... I suppose I could understand both sides of the argument... I can understand trying to assess someone's reasoning capabilities; however, if a company's Human Resources personnel aren't competent enough to judge someone's personality then perhaps the company should hire new personnel. I know, I know... the argument is probably that of: people try to tailor their personalities to what they believe the company is looking for & what the position might require... well hell, maybe the company should hire a psychic... LOL! Seriously, it really isn't that hard to discern someone's personality, a resume is a resume... the information is there, so one should be able to access the success levels that a person has achieved in previous positions, & also how well his/her personality will blend w/ the rest of the department/team.

Hiring isn't a science... there is no right or wrong person in the sense that a company could hire a person that has extensive experience in its industry, but that person still may not do well in the position... an under experienced person may do far better.

But, I seriously digress... I think that my real gripe is w/ the education system. By no means, would I blame this system for any of my failures, but I do look back & realize all of the missed opportunities, & lack of communication & preparation. First of all, I wish there were some sort of system for children, like me, that fall thru the cracks... not that I'm the product of some unfortunate environment, but I believe that all these movements of children that join this cult & that gang... & all these emo & punk-rock groups... these are the lost souls... These are the children that usually have absolutely no freaking idea where they belong & what they want to do w/ their lives... I was fortunate to not be lost enough to join an outrageous group, but I had no freaking idea what I wanted to be in life.

I realize that some schools have all sorts of personality test that can tell you what you should be in life... I think I even took one... I can't remember what it said... something artsy & liberal, I suppose... LOL! & maybe that was my biggest mistake in not taking heed. & maybe all these words are useless b/c I can't complain b/c I didn't listen. Eh... I still have a gripe w/ this system!

I somewhat admire the technical schools like ITT Technical Institute b/c, based solely on their advertisements, they provide on the job training... the education system needs more of this. Children should be exposed to the various occupations @ an early age. I can't remember any instance of a "career day" occurring during my years in grade school. So, other than teaching & some of the other well-known careers, I had no idea what opportunities & occupations were available, let alone the duties that they entailed.


But, I digress, sort of, on that subject as well... what I would really like to know is, especially since I'm basically the product of inner-city/urban/HBCU education systems: what is it like on the other side. How are my Caucasian & Asian counterparts prepared for adulthood & career stardom. It appears that the resources & preparation far exceed that of the systems that I took part in... no, no, no... I'm not one to complain about the unfair advantages that exist amongst the races, but I do wonder... most of all, I wonder why these disparities still exist, & I wonder how I can change them. I don't regret choosing to be a part of the system... maybe it was for a reason... maybe it was so that I could experience it & change it... but, I still wonder... I guess b/c I witness some of the disparities every day... I'm surrounded by people that are products of systems that could probably be considered just under Ivy League (so, I can't imagine what the Ivy League products are really like!) & I don't feel inadequate when compared to them, but I do feel ill-prepared.

& perhaps, it could be a personal thing... where I didn't take advantage of certain opportunities & techniques as I should have. I won't completely say that these things didn't exist... maybe I was too lazy & ignorant to seek them out... But, I must say that I do see the advantages that those systems have that mine lacked... for example, internships & on-campus recruiting... PPA programs... Don't get me wrong, there were some internship opportunities, but they were somewhat inferior in comparison to what I've witnessed in my current position. Big 4 didn't come to my university... hell, my current firm didn't, & still doesn't.

I've blabbed long enough... but, I've said all this to say that I think that outside of the Ivy League, our education system is seriously flawed & lacking. The conventional methods that were once popular & effective, are nearly obsolete now. It's past time for restructuring & an overall system upgrade.

No comments: