Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Voting... the new Dior



So, eeeeeeeeeveryone took to FB on yesterday to talk about voting. I'm sure that some people were being passionate & genuinely concerned about encouraging people to vote, but unfortunately, some were just trying to be in vogue. Since this past presidential election, voting has ironically become a new trend amongst the younger generations... but, will the trend last??? Well, it did seem to spill over into yesterday's election.

However, the sad part is: how much do we really know about each candidate, so are we just voting just be voting? African Americans have long been known for submitting the straight party ticket for democratic candidates. & while it's nice that a lot of us are trying to pay homage to our forefathers for fighting for our voting rights, what good is it to vote for one party? How effective is this type of ballot, & are we contributing to the political problem by only looking @ one side... not to mention, not even knowing what that side really stands for.

Now, I'm not one to point a finger w/o realizing that I have 3 of them staring me in the face... so, a quick disclaimer: I did vote. I voted a straight libertarian & democratic ticket. I had no idea who the candidates were, or what they stood for... hell, I was happy to see that I liked the names of some of the people that I chose... LOL... that was cool to me. I had no reason to vote b/c I had no idea what I was doing, BUT... I figured that I should pay my civil & cultural duty to society. & why did I choose libertarian, you might ask... well, b/c I didn't want to be caught in between the republican/democratic war... & the positions in which I did choose a democratic candidate, only had choices from the two main parties. But, I honestly felt like I wasted time by voting & not knowing anything about the candidates... it's like taking communion, knowing that you haven't been committed or obedient to God.

Quite honestly, yesterday's election was extremely important, & I wish the media would really highlight each candidate's platform instead of highlighting the bullshit that these candidates were involved in 10 & 20 years ago. But, this election was important b/c these are the people w/ the most influence... the representatives & senators are responsible for passing legislation. The president does have the ultimate say, but the people's connection & voice lie in the House & Senate.

I really don't care who's in office... republican, democrat, libertarian, Big Bird, Barney... whomever... I just want problem solvers & leaders. It doesn't matter who solves the problem, just solve it... just do something & stop arguing about the solution, & worrying about who gets credit for it.

So, while everyone else wants to walk around w/ their "I voted" stickers like a new Dior bag, & ridicule those that didn't vote as if they're carrying a "knock-off," I don't feel a way about either status b/c what has Dior or any other designer/candidate done for me lately... & what will these people do for me now? All I can worry about, is what I can do for myself. & did voting do anything for me; did it make me feel better about myself... will it do anything for me... I really don't know.

No comments: